Announcing… an Award!
Nope, I haven’t won the Golden Quill Award. In fact, nobody has as yet…
Back when I wrote a post about accepting blog awards, I explained my reasons for declining two that were bestowed upon me in quick succession. In that same post, I also suggested that I might try and design a new award with rules for nomination that didn’t lead to the sort of ‘chain letter’ progression that many current ones employ. It has taken a while, but I finally got around to coming up with something.
Anyway, the basic idea behind the ‘Golden Quill’ is that will be bestowed upon only one blogger at a time with the result that nominees can give some real consideration as to whom they will in turn nominate and not be stuck with having to come up with a whole bunch of names. In addition, I have also proposed some temporal rules so as to limit the number of awards per year to a reasonable number. Here is my idea so far…
RULES FOR ACCEPTANCE
- Nominees must, within 7 days of the first day of the month following the month in which they received their nomination, write a blog post announcing the fact;
- The post must commence by displaying the ‘Golden Quill Image’ , which appears at the beginning of this current post;
- Nominees must thank their nominator and, in the body of the post, include a link back to that person’s blog;
- The nominee must then re-nominate another fellow blogger, provide a link to the blog in question, and write a brief paragraph explaining why they feel the new nominee is worthy of nomination;
- The current nominee may now, at his or her discretion, display the sidebar award logo available here ;
- In the event that any re-nominee has not accepted their nomination within the 7 day limit mentioned above, the current nominee may make a fresh re-nomination by simply re-blogging their original acceptance and substituting the name of the new re-nominee in place of the old;
- The acceptance post must include a copy of these rules as listed;
A little help is requested…
I am not yet ready to choose a nominee for the first award yet as I would first very much like to get some feedback from some of my readers on the rules so far.
It occurs to me that, with only one nominee at a time, the chances of the award lapsing at any given time are quite high and seems a little onerous to expect a recipient to have to keep making successive posts just because of repeated failures to accept. I probably have also neglected to consider other possibilities as well, I expect.
Finally … does anyone find the rules a little too… how shall I say… formally legalistic, or complicated?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated… and, if anyone would be kind enough to try downloading the images and let me know if there is a problem I would be most pleased!