Posted in Nunavut

The Sinking of the Greenhouse…

January Storm 1

It was a dark and very stormy night… Yesterday, in the teeth of a horrendous gale, our celebrated Greenhouse broke free of her moorings went down with all hands. The few survivors could only watch in horrified silence from a distance and were only able to find solace by ‘splicing the main-brace’ with copious tots of rum… said medicinal comforts being repeated at regular intervals until the horrible tragedy became laughable… 

Well… we *were* warned. The day before, the weather service was calling for a serious blizzard with winds gusting to 120 km/hr. We considered striking the plastic greenhouse and bringing it inside but our barbecue and several heavy boxes of dirt were inside and it looked like they should be sufficient ‘anchors’ to prevent the thing blowing around too much… How wrong we were.

The blizzard didn’t amount to much in the sense that very little snow actually fell, but the winds hit 135 km/hr. at the height of the storm and our whole house was shaking and groaning. At about 10am or so, I saw that one of the lines tethering the greenhouse had parted and I went out to fix it. Unfortunately, the door to our deck had frozen completely shut and so I had to go around the house and climb onto the deck in exceedingly high winds. I managed it but, less than an hour later, the line, and several others parted again…

The wind had now lifted the structure so that it rose like a parachute over the deck and, again, I struggled out in the gale, being blown down twice in the process, and managed to wrestle the thing down. I attempted to hold it down with a box of dirt and a full tank of propane but, less than an hour after retreating back inside, the wind had blown these off and I gave up any further attempts. It was far too difficult even just walking outside and trying to get the greenhouse inside would have been impossible if not downright hazardous.

January Storm 2

Anyway… this is what we awoke to this morning after a long day and night of repeated power failures and much rum. Thankfully, a slight shift in the wind trapped the greenhouse against our house and it is now that pathetic little heap under the snow. I won’t know for a while, but I think that we may have escaped losing any of the ‘bits’. We’ll be up and running again this spring.

So, that’s the story of our first storm in 2014. Tomorrow, I am off to Sanikiluaq again and, if all goes well, I will get to spend a couple of nights in Montreal on the way back and have a culinary adventure or two to share…


I am a lawyer by profession and my practice is Criminal... I mean, I specialize in Criminal law. My work involves travelling on Court circuits to remote Arctic communities. In between my travels I write a Food blog at

7 thoughts on “The Sinking of the Greenhouse…

  1. Oh my gosh! What a harrowing tale indeed! Sounds like it was a valiant effort, but Mother Nature is hard to beat. In any case, I hope that the greenhouse will be able to be resurrected without much damage. Have a wonderful trip to Montreal! Relatively speaking, it’s not that far from NYC 🙂

Comments, thoughts or suggestions most welcome...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s