I came across the idea for this dish in a Chinese cookery book featuring home-style meals. That version used plain steamed chicken and contained nothing else beyond the grapefruit other than some sliced green pepper, all of which dressed in grapefruit juice with a little sugar added. I have jazzed up the basic idea by using grilled chicken, replacing the bell pepper with celery, and adding some of the Chinese Black Fungus commonly known as ‘Tree-Ear or ‘Cloud-Ear’, for color and texture.
By the way, I am using some ready prepared sections of pink grape-fruit I bought at my supermarket. This saves having to peel the fruit and remove the membranes from each piece. The variety I bought also had some sugar added to the juice. You can use fresh grapefruit if you like but make sure to save at least 3 or 4 tablespoons of the juice as you section it. You will likely want to add a little sugar to taste, as well…
- 1 small Chicken Breast, sliced in half horizontally;
- 1 cup pink grapefruit sections, cut in half if large;
- 1 small stalk of celery, cut obliquely in thin slices;
- 2 – 3 small pieces of Chinese Black Fungus, reconstituted and sliced thinly;
- 1 pinch Salt;
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil (plus a little extra);
- 4 – 5 tablespoons Grapefruit Juice (sweetened, if desired, with a dash o sugar);
- 1 pinch coarsely ground Black Pepper;
- ¼ cup Peanuts, gently crushed (optional);
- Lettuce leaves for garnish )optional).
First, sprinkle the chicken breasts with the salt and brush each lightly with a little Sesame Oil. At this point, you can mix the rest of the Sesame Oil together with the grapefruit juice, sugar (if using) and the ground pepper, and then set this aside for the dressing. Heat your grill, or a ridged grill pan, and grill the chicken pieces until just cooked through and nicely grill-marked. Remove to a plate and allow to cool.
Next, slice the chicken breast crosswise and toss in a bowl with the celery, fungus, and the dressing. Allow to sit for about twenty minutes to blend the flavors and then line a suitable dish with lettuce leaves, if using, turn out the salad mix on top, and garnish with the peanut pieces if desired.