Chicken with Pickled Mustard and Straw Mushrooms is a delicate dish with the sweet and sour notes and the meaty texture of Straw Mushrooms.
This dish is simple to prepare and served in a very light sauce of Chicken stock, Ginger, Oyster Sauce, and a dash of Soy. I have used Chicken breast here, but thigh meat would work very well.
I previously did a post introducing Pickled Mustard and illustrated the Pickle with a Thai variety that is sold whole in plastic packaging at most Asian grocery stores. This is the type I most commonly buy, but I am using a slightly different type here.
These little packages are also widely available in Asian groceries and you can usually find more than one brand. The product does not include the whole Mustard plant, but instead consists of the stems cut into chunks. It is a bit sweeter and less tangy than the Thai variety I usually purchase, but still very nice.
If you can only get the whole variety, then you will want to just use the stem portion and reserve the leaves for another use (in soup is nice). You should also taste and make sure you adjust for saltiness and sweetness.
In this recipe for Chicken with Pickled Mustard and Straw Mushrooms, I have used canned Straw Mushrooms, as I did in my Pork with Straw Mushrooms dish posted some time ago. I have never seen fresh Straw Mushrooms served in my corner of the world, but the canned sort is easily found. They don’t taste markedly different to Button Mushrooms, but they have a nice, meaty texture and they look very attractive stir-fried with other ingredients of similar shape and size.
Anyway, this dish takes very little time to prepare and cook and will not offend the palates of those who prefer delicate flavors.
Your Recipe Card:
Chicken with Pickled Mustard and Straw Mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups Chicken Breast cut in large dice
- 1 tsp. Shaoxing Wine
- ½ tsp each Garlic Salt and White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Corn starch stirred into a slurry with a little water
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 Cup Pickled Mustard in large dice
- 1 Cup Canned Straw Mushrooms
- Toss the Chicken with the Shaoxing Wine and season with the Garlic Salt and White Pepper.
- Mix the chicken well with the Cornstarch and then stir in the oil to prevent the pieces from sticking while deep-frying.
- Add the Oyster Sauce to the Cornstarch slurry, stirring well, then add the Chicken Stock and the Soy Sauce. Set aside for now.
- Deep-fry the Chicken at medium heat until just starting to pale gold on the surface. It should still be slightly raw at the center. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat and add the Ginger, stirring well until the aroma rises.
- Add the Mushrooms followed by the Pickled Mustard and cook for a minute or so, then add in the Chicken.
- When the Chicken is heated through, add the sauce mister, stir until thickened, then serve immediately.