Chili Bamboo Pickle Shrimp, or 紅油筍炒蝦仁, combines Cucumber and shelled Shrimp with Sichuan-style Bamboo shoots pickled in spicy red chili oil.
There is a commercially prepared product I like to have on hand as it is useful for last minute meals. Bamboo Shoots are widely available in different forms, fresh, dried, canned, and brine-pickled, but a favored type for me is the Chili-pickled variety, in which slices or strips of tender Bamboo Shoots are preserved in Red Chili Oil. Here, I have used with Shrimp, stir-fried with slices of Cucumber.
Ingredient Notes for Chili Bamboo Pickle Shrimp
These are the Chili Pickled Bamboo strips I am using on this occasion. It is actually more common to find them in jars and there are many varieties to be found in Asian grocery stores or online. I bought the package you see pictured above just to test them and, in truth, I prefer other jarred sorts. There was nothing wrong with the flavor at all, indeed, they are very tasty, but the strips were cut very randomly, whereas, with most jarred varieties they coma as much more uniform strips.
One other variation I should mention is that the amount of Chili oil used in these pickles can vary quite widely between brands. Some are quite mild, others quite fiery, and you may wish to bear this in mind when purchasing. The brand I am using here is relatively mild and, if desired, you can always ad a little chili paste or the like for extra heat.
How to make 紅油筍炒蝦仁
Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a pan over moderate heat and briefly sauté the shrimp until they turn pink. Season with the salt and pepper and remove to a separate bowl.
Add a little more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the garlic until the aroma arises and then add in the cumber slices. Stir in the sugar and sauté until the slices just begin to soften.
Add the bamboo shoots along with the vinegar and when all is hot, add in the shrimp and the soy sauce. Sauté a minute or so longer and then serve immediately.
Your Recipe Card for 紅油筍炒蝦仁:
Chili Bamboo Pickle Shrimp
- 1/2 lb. Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined;
- 1 cup Chili Pickled Bamboo Shoot slices;
- 1 cup baby Cucumber cut on the bias in thickish slices;
- 1 tbsp. minced Garlic;
- 1 tsp. Sugar;
- 1 tbsp. Rice Vinegar;
- 1 pinch each of Salt and White Pepper;
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce.
- Sauté the shrimp in a splash of oil over a moderately high flame until pink, then season with the salt and pepper and remove to a separate bowl.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and fry the garlic until the aroma arises, then add in the cumber slices and sugar and sauté until the slices just begin to soften.
- Add the bamboo shoots along with the vinegar and when all is hot, add in the shrimp and the soy sauce. Sauté a minute or so longer and then serve immediately.