These Deep-Fried Scallop Clusters are prepared in the Japanese Kakiage Tempura style, with scallop meat, Chinese Sausage, and Wakame Seaweed.
The technique used in the preparation of these little appetizers is very much like the Japanese ‘Kakiage’ style of Tempura. However, I have departed very slightly from strictly Japanese roots a by combining chopped sweet scallop meat, not only with shredded Wakame seaweed, but also some finely diced Chinese Preserved Sausage.
The Basic Method
First, add the salt and Baking Powder to the flower and then stir in sufficient water to make a moderately thick batter.
Mix the solid ingredients together and then add the batter a little at a time, stirring until everything is very liberally coated. You may have a little batter left over but this is better than having too much in the mix.
Finally, add generous heaping teaspoons of the mix to hot oil and deep-fry until the ‘nuggets’ float and turn a nice golden color. Serve piping hot with a sauce of your choice. A Japanese Ponzu will work very nicely, but, in the first picture, the dipping sauce uses equal parts of soy, rice wine and lemon juice, which is also very good.
Your Recipe Card:
Deep-Fried Scallop Clusters
- 2 – 3 Scallops diced;
- ¼ of 1 Chinese Preserved Sausage finely diced;
- 1/8 Cup of shredded reconstituted Wakame Seaweed;
- 6 Tbsp. Flour;
- 1 pinch each Salt and Baking Powder;
- Add the Salt and Baking Powder to the Flour and then stir in sufficient water to make a moderately thick batter.
- Mix the solid ingredients together and then stir in small quantities of batter, a little at a time, just to the point that everything is very liberally coated.
- Add generous heaping teaspoons of the mix to hot oil and deep-fry until they float and turn a nice golden color.
- Remove to paper towel to blot away remaining oil, then serve hot with a Ponzu, or dipping sauce of choice.
YUM! those look so good!