Dragon and Phoenix in XO Sauce, or XO醬炒㡣鳳, stir-fries the traditional, poetic Chinese pairing of Chicken and Shrimp in a decadent XO Sauce.
The name ‘Dragon and Phoenix’ on a Chinese restaurant menu means that the dish in question uses both Shrimp and Chicken. The pair work well together because they both cook quickly, and have complementary mild tastes and textures. Cucumber, which is not commonly used in cooked dishes in the West, also works well the combination for the same reasons
Ingredient Notes for Dragon and Phoenix in XO Sauce
A decent XO Sauce really elevates this dish into something special, but you need to select carefully. The quality is highly variable so try a few of whatever is available to you and select one that suits you the most. Whichever you choose, be sure to balance the Chili heat of the XO Sauce (if any), with the amount of Chili you use in this dish.
The Recipe Card below calls for Chili Paste and you can use anything you that suits your fancy. I have used a Sambal Oelek here as it adds a nice fresh chili taste without any additional spices or seasonings other than salt.
How to make XO醬炒㡣鳳
Dice the chicken breast into fairly large cubes, discarding any adhering fat. Next, stir the meat in a bowl along with the garlic salt, pepper, sugar and sesame oil. Set this aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Cut the cucumber lengthwise into quarters and then cut these into 1cm thick sections;
Mix together the XO Sauce, Sherry (or rice wine), and the Chili Paste fand set aside.
Heat a cup or more of oil in a pan over moderate heat and fry the chicken pieces until the pieces just turn white.
Drain the pan of all but a tablespoon or so of oil (removing the cooked chicken to a small bowl for the time being) and put the pan back on the heat. Add the shrimp and cucumber and stir-fry until the shrimp are pink and completely cooked.
Finally, add back the chicken meat and pour in the sauce. Cook over high heat until all is bubbling and the sauce has reduced to almost a glaze. Serve immediately.
Your Recipe Card for XO醬炒㡣鳳 :
Dragon and Phoenix in XO Sauce
- 1 large boneless Chicken breast;
- 1/2 lb medium Shrimp peeled and deveined.
- ½ a small English Cucumber;
- ¼ tsp. each of Garlic Salt and White Pepper;
- ½ tsp. each Sesame Oil and Sugar;
- 2 Tbsp. XO Sauce;
- 3 Tbsp. Sherry or Rice Wine;
- ½ tsp. Chili Paste or more to taste;
- Dice the chicken and marinate with the garlic salt, pepper, sugar and sesame oil for at least 30 minutes.
- Quarter the Cucumber lengthwise and cut the quarters into 1cm sections.
- Mix together the XO Sauce, Sherry (or rice wine), and the Chili Paste, and set aside.
- Deep-fry the Chicken over moderate heat until just white and not quite cooked through.
- Stir-fry the Shrimp and Cucumber in a Tablespoon of oil until the Shrimp are pink.
- Add the Chicken and the XO sauce mixture and stir-fry over high heat until the sauce is reduced to a glaze.
- Serve immediately.