Dry Fried Beef with Pickled Bamboo, or 香筍干烧牛肉, is Beef double-fried to a dry, chewy texture, with fermented Bamboo, Bell Pepper and Scallion
This dish uses the same technique for double-frying Beef to a delightfully dry, chewiness that I introduced in my similar Dry-fried Sour and Spicy Beef. Here, though, the Beef is complimented by the funky, umami flavors of Bamboo Pickled with Chili, as well as thin slivers of Red Bell Pepper and Scallion.
Ingredient Notes for this Dry Fried Beef with Pickled Bamboo
The Pickled Bamboo Shoots with Chili called for in the Recipe Card below are the same commercially pickled variety used in my recipe for Chili Pickled Bamboo Chicken. You can see the brand I used pictured in that post, but there are many similar brands available in Asian Grocery stores, or on-line. Some come in jars, others in plastic bags. If you cannot source Pickled Bamboo, you could always use Canned Bamboo Shoots, but the taste won’t be remotely the same.
How to Cook 香筍干烧牛肉
First, mix the beef shreds with the soy sauce, white pepper and 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
The beef will be cooked in two steps in order to achieve the right texture and consistency for a traditional ‘dry-fried’ dish. First, heat a cup of oil in your wok over high heat and then fry the shreds in two batches until they are brown and just staring to crisp. Remove them to a bowl as they are cooked.
Next, remove all but two tablespoons of oil from the wok and bring the heat up to high. Add the beef shreds and cook, stirring from time to time, until they give up their moisture and become dry and chewy in texture. Depending on the heat of your wok and the moisture content of the beef, this will take a good 5 – 10 minutes or so.
Finally, when the beef is ready, add the bell pepper and the bamboo shoots and stir-fry until the pepper is softened. Add the green onion shreds, toss for a few more moments and then plate for service immediately.
Your Recipe Card:
Dry Fried Beef with Pickled Bamboo
- 1/2 lb. Beefsteak cut into matchstick shreds;
- ½ cup Pickled Bamboo Shoots with Chili.
- ½ cup red Bell Pepper cut into slivers;
- ½ cup Green Onions green part only, in two-inch shreds;
- 1 tbsp. Soy sauce;
- 1 tsp. White Pepper;
- Peanut Oil
- Marinate the beef shreds with the soy sauce, white pepper and 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a cup of oil over high heat and then deep-fry the shreds in two until they are brown and just staring to crisp.
- Remove the Beef once done and drain the pan of all but two Tablespoons of Oil.
- Add back the Beef and fry, stirring often, for about 5 or ten minutes until the Beef has given up its moisture and has taken on a chewy texture.
- Add the Bell Pepper and Pickled Bamboo, stirring until the Pepper is softened and cooked through.
- Finally, add the Scallion, stir for a moment or so longer, then serve while hot.