Fish Maw with Shrimp and Mushrooms
Not long ago, I recently posted an introduction to Fish Maw, a Chinese dried seafood ingredient that is not widely known or used in the West. This ingredient, prized for its texture rather than its almost non-existent taste, is probably most commonly used in soups. Here, this recipe for Fish Maw with Shrimp and Mushrooms, illustrates a use of the reconstituted Fish Maw in a stir-fried dish.
If you have read my introductory post on Fish Maw, you will recall that it comes in three basic forms. Here we are using the type that has been deep-fried, and sold in sheets as shown above. This is very easy to reconstitute (compared to the basic dried form), and generally needs only 15 or 20 minutes of soaking in warm water.
I am using Button Mushrooms, which have previously been fried with a little lemon juice, in this recipe for the simple reason that I had some on hand. You can do the same, or use canned, if you like. Straw Mushrooms would also be a nice choice.
In the bowl, at the top right of the above picture, you can see the Fish Maw, which has been soaked and sliced into strips.
To cook, heat a little oil in your pan and add the white part of the onion and the red bell pepper. As soon as they release their fragrance add the fish maw and saute until it starts to sear slightly.
To complete the dish (and apologies for the lack of a picture), add the mushrooms, the shrimp, and the green part of the onion. When the shrimp is pink, and the green onions just wilted, throw in the sauce, cook it down until little remains but a slight glaze and then serve right away. That’s it …
Your Recipe Card:
Fish Maw with Shrimp
- 1 Cup reconstituted Fish Maw cut into strips
- 1 dozen small Shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ cup cooked or canned, Button Mushroom slices
- ¼ Cup Red Bell Pepper Slivers
- 3 Scallions White part sliced, and Green part in 2-inch sections
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Combine the Soy Sauce, Rice Wine and Sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir-fry the Bell Pepper and the white part of the Scallion in a little oil over high heat just until they release their aroma.
- Add in the Fish Maw and stir-fry just until the Fish Maw begins to sear.
- Add the Mushrooms, the Shrimp, and the green sections of the Scallion.
- When the Shrimp turns pink, add the sauce mix and stir-fry just until the sauce becomes a glaze.
- Serve while hot.