Kung Pao Dragon & Phoenix, or 宮保㡣鳳, features Chicken breast strips marinated and stir-fried with Shrimp and Peanuts in spicy Chili Oil.
The terms ‘Dragon’ and ‘Phoenix’ when used the name of a Chinese dish, means that the dish contains Shrimp and Chicken together. This particular preparation uses both and is prepared in general ‘Kong Pao’ style. It deviates a bit from the traditional Chinese method of Kung Pao cookery, but it uses peanuts, has a sweet and sour background, and uses Red Chili Oil for a hint of smoky fire.
Ingredient Notes for Kung Pao Dragon & Phoenix
Broccoli Stems are often thrown away by home-cooks, but they are nutritious and delicious. You need to trim away the thick skin with a vegetable peeler first, but the inner portion can be used in a wide variety of dishes. As called for in the Recipe Card below, you should pre-blanch them before cooking. Just slice the stem, then drop the slices into boiling salted water for about a minute or so, then drain and plunge the slices into cold water. This will preserve the nice green color and make them crisp, tender after just a short time being stir-fried.
I have called for Chinese Black Vinegar here, but any Rice Vinegar can be substituted if the latter is unavailable.
How to make 宮保㡣鳳
First, mix together the Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Rice Wine, Sugar, and Vinegar in a bowl, then slice the Chicken breast into narrow strips and marinate these in the mixture for at least 20 minutes.
The Chicken is actually cooked in a two step-process. In the first step, the marinated strips are quickly deep-fried in oil at a low temperature just until the have turned white, but are still uncooked and pink in the center. This will make them tender and juicy when finally cooked through. Once you have done this step, drain the chicken and set aside for the moment.
When ready to continue, briefly fry the peanuts in a little oil over moderately high heat and, when they give off their aroma and are just beginning to show a few brown spots, toss in the shrimp and briskly stir-fry until they have turned pink.
Finally, add in the Broccoli, fry for a minute or so longer then add in the Shrimp and the Chili Oil. Stir-fry until the Chicken is just cooked through and serve immediately.
Your Recipe Card for 宮保㡣鳳:
Kung Pao Dragon & Phoenix
- 1 large Chicken Breast;
- 1/2 lb medium Shrimp peeled and deveined;
- 1 cup sliced Broccoli Stalk blanched for 1 minute;
- ½ cup Peanuts;
- 1 tsp. each Soy Sauce Sesame Oil, and Rice Wine;
- 1 tsp. Sugar;
- 1 Tbsp. Chinese Black Vinegar;
- 3 Tbsp. Chili Oil with flakes;
- Slice the Chicken into strips and marinate it with the Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Rice Wine, Sugar, and Vinegar for about 20 minutes.
- Deep fry the marinated Chicken at low temperature until just white and not quite cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- Briefly fry the Peanuts in a little oil over moderately high heat then add the Shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink.
- Add the Broccoli, followed by the Chicken and Chili Oil, and continue to fry until the Chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot.