Mushrooms Stir-fry Pork and Shrimp, or 蘑菇蝦仁炒豬 , is a very simple dish that can be put together in less time than it takes to thaw the Shrimp.
This simple stir-fried dish is easy to put together, and is a perfect way to use those canned Button Mushrooms you have in your pantry because ‘you never know when they might be useful’. The ‘Surf and Turf’ combination of Shrimp and Pork works really nicely with Mushrooms, Scallion and shredded Fresh Ginger.
Ingredient Notes for Mushrooms Stir-fry Pork and Shrimp
The Recipe Card below calls for Chicken Stock. You can certainly use a commercial variety of your choice (although you should stick to canned rather than bouillon cubes), but homemade is preferable. You can fallow my Basic Chinese Chicken Stock recipe, if desired.
When you purchase peeled and deveined frozen Shrimp for this dish, make sure they are uncooked. The cooked variety never take on any flavor when being stir-fried and will be bland. If the tiny shell covering the tail-fins is still patent, you can remove it or leave it as you see fit.
How to make 蘑菇蝦仁炒豬
Heat a little oil in your wok until it is just about to smoke and the quickly fry the pork slices (in batches if necessary) until just getting golden brown at the edges. Whilst this is happening, you can mix together the stock, cornstarch, sugar, rice wine and soy sauce in a little bowl. Set this aside and then remove the pork from the wok.
Add a little more oil to the wok, if necessary, and then add the mushrooms. Stir-fry for several minutes until they get nicely browned and take on the flavors of the pan, and then sprinkle with black pepper and add the ginger and the white part of the scallions.
As soon as you can smell the aroma of the ginger, add the shrimp and the pork and continue tossing until the shrimp are pink. Add the sauce and the green part of the scallion. As soon as the sauce has thickened and the scallion wilted slightly, transfer everything to a dish and serve your 蘑菇蝦仁炒豬 immediately.
Your Recipe Card for 蘑菇蝦仁炒豬 :
Mushrooms Stir-fry Pork and Shrimp
- ½ lb. Pork Tenderloin cut into thin slices;
- ½ lb. Shrimp peeled and deveined;
- 1 can Button Mushrooms;
- 2 Scallions cut into 1” lengths;
- 1 ½ tbsp. shredded Ginger;
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper;
- ¼ cup Chicken stock or use the canned mushroom liquid;
- ½ tsp. Cornstarch;
- 1 tbsp. Sugar;
- 1 tbsp. Rice Wine;
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce.
- Mix together the stock, cornstarch, sugar, rice wine and soy sauce in a little bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon or two in a pan over high heat, quickly brown the Pork, and remove to a bowl for the moment.
- Add a little more oil to the pan and stir-fry the mushrooms until they show golden brown patches on the caps.
- Sprinkle the Mushrooms with the Black Pepper, then stir in the Ginger and the white part of the scallions.
- Stir-fry for a moment or two, then add the Shrimp and the Pork and continue stir-frying.
- When the Shrimp are pink, add the sauce mixture, let it thicken, then transfer all to a dish and serve immediately.