This Red Pepper and Feta Cheese Appetizer dish is very Mediterranean in spirit. It enhances the sweetness of roasted Red Peppers and the tang of Feta Cheese with a combination of garlic, lemon and green onion. It can be a dip for vegetable sticks, or bread, used as a topping for Crostini, or else served as a small salad at any Meze table.
- 2/3 cup Roasted Red Pepper, diced;
- ¼ cup Feta, diced;
- 1 small Scallion, finely sliced;
- 1 tsp. chopped Garlic;
- 1 pinch each Salt and Pepper;
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice;
- Parsley for Garnish.
NOTES: For the Roasted Red Pepper, you can use a commercially made jar of Pimentos, or Roasted Red Peppers from the Deli Section of your supermarket, if you wish to save time. Or… you can also read my post to learn How to Make Roasted Red Peppers.
Well… this is pretty complicated…
To make the salad, add together all ingredients except the lemon juice and parsley, then chill for a few hours to blend the flavors.
Finally, when your guests are ready, stir in the lemon juice, garnish with the parsley and serve.
A Final Note
By way of background… the inspiration for my recipe here was a Red Pepper and Feta Cheese Salad I enjoyed at the Efendy Turkish & Mediterranean Grill in Halifax, Nova Scotia, several years ago (shown above).
If you look closely, you can see that the roasted red peppers were processed to a virtual purée, and the Feta cheese was chopped very finely. I decided to go with a much ‘chunkier’ finished dish for my interpretation, and I also added the lemon, which was not included with the restaurant version.
The one I had at Efendy was still great, though…
Red Pepper and Feta Meze
- 2/3 Cup Roasted Red Pepper, diced;
- 1/4 Cup Feta Cheese, diced
- 1 small Scallion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp Garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Parsely, for garnish
- To make the salad, add together all ingredients except the lemon juice and parsley, then chill for a few hours to blend the flavors. Finally, when your guests are ready, stir in the lemon juice, garnish with the parsley, and serve.