Shrimps Stir-Fry Eggs – 虾仁炒蛋
This very simple preparation is somewhat similar to my recipe for Spiced Eggs with Shrimp. The fundamental differences, however, are that, in this recipe, I use tiny little cocktail shrimp, and very few additional seasonings or other ingredients. The reason for both choices are that, as a general rule, the smaller the shrimp, the more flavor they have, and if you are trying to capitalize on that, it would be counterproductive to add spice seasonings, or other larger ingredients whose taste might overwhelm the tiny shrimp themselves.
[PIC2] – The tiny frozen Shrimp used for 虾仁炒蛋,
Here you can see the small bag of frozen Shrimp I am using. For most people, getting cocktail Shrimp fresh is not an option, so the frozen variety are your best bet. You can make this dish with Canned Cocktail Shrimp, but, in my opinion, they just aren’t as good. The flavor of the canned sort is just not as powerful, and the texture is much softer, and friable in a way that dies not work well for this dish.
By the way, whichever, type of cocktail Shrimp you do end up using, making sure to reserve the meltwater thrown off by the frozen variety, or the can liquor from the canned sort, if using.
The Basic Method
[PIC3] – Finishing the Shrimps Stir-Fry Eggs
First, put the cornstarch sugar and seasonings in a small bowl and make a smooth paste using just a little water. Now beat in the eggs and then add the pepper slivers and the shrimp along with the reserved meltwater or can ‘juices’.
Now, heat a little oil in a sauté pan over moderate heat and then pour in the mixture. Allow the bottom to set for about 30 seconds or so and then use your spatula to draw lines through the mix, breaking it up ever so slightly. Don’t ‘scramble’ too quickly, rather continue separating the mix by gentle scraping and turning so that large curds form. When everything is almost set, remove to a plate, or plates, and allow the residual heat to continue cooking. Serve immediately.
Your Recipe Card:
Shrimps Stir-Fry Eggs
- ½ cup tiny cooked Shrimp use a full cup if you like;
- 4 Eggs;
- ¼ cup finely slivered Green Bell Pepper;
- 1 tsp. Cornstarch;
- 1 tsp. Sugar;
- 1 pinch each of Garlic Salt and Ground White Pepper
- Put the cornstarch, sugar, and seasonings in a small bowl and make a smooth paste using just a little water.
- Add the eggs and beat well, adding the pepper slivers and the shrimp, along with any liquor they have thrown off.
- Heat a little oil in a sauté pan over moderate heat and then pour in the Egg mixture.
- Gently fold and stir the mix as it first begins to set near the bottom, continuing until large curds form.
- Remove from the flame while still moist, and allow the dish to finish cooking by residual heat.
- Garnish as desired, and serve while still nicely hot.