This Smoked Salmon Maki appetizer was inspired by a drive to create some rice-less ‘sushi’ type preparations for those following low-carb diets, or even doing the whole ‘Keto’ thing. These Maki, or rolls, use thin slices of Smoked Salmon to wrap nori sheets, egg-salad made with Japanese Mayonnaise, and strips of red bell pepper.
I used almost a whole package of frozen, pre-sliced smoked salmon for a single roll.
Here you can see that I have laid out slices (trimmed along the edges where necessary), on a sheet of plastic film atop my sushi rolling mat. The two fillings are on either side…
The egg salad is just chopped boiled egg with a little Japanese mayonnaise, some chopped scallion and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
The other ingredient is just fine slivers of red bell pepper that have been macerated for about twenty minutes with a little salt, but you could use commercially prepared Pimiento, if you like, or else follow my recipe for Roasted Red Pepper.
Here we are all ready to roll. If you are adept at making sushi rolls, you probably won’t find the process too difficult, but you will see that the egg-salad requires a bit more of a light touch than rice.
After rolling, I knew that the filling here would be quite soft and difficult to cut even with my very sharp sushi knife. Accordingly, I just popped the wrapped roll into the freezer for about twenty minutes until it had just firmed up a bit.
For service, I included a bit of wasabi as both garnish and condiment, and some lemon slices as well.
Chives always go well with egg salad, and you could easily use line of finely chopped stalks to replace the strips of red pepper for an attractive color contrast.
To more closely mimic rice, you could make your egg-salad using just the whites, and then use the remaining yoke in a line down the center of the roll along with either red or green peppers.
Your Recipe Card
Keto-Friendly Smoked Salmon Maki
- Packaged Smoked Salmon slices
- Nori Sheets
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Japanese Mayonnaise
- Green Onion
- Salt and Pepper
- Strips of Red Bell Pepper
- Wasabi and Lemon Slices
- Make an egg-salad using the eggs, mayonnaise, and chopped green onion (green part only), and season the mix with a little salt and pepper.
- Toss the red pepper strips with a sprinkling of salt and let them sit until softened.
- Place a sheet of clear plastic wrap on a sushi mat than place slices of the smoked salmon over it in a neat square shape. Cut a sheet of nori to the same width as the square, but only ¾ the other dimension. Place this on the smoked salmon slices.
- Spread the egg salad over 2/3 of the nori sheet and lay a line of the red pepper strips down the center. Roll carefully and twist the ends of the plastic wrap to form a neat roll.
- Place the roll in the freezer for about twenty minutes to become firm then unwrap the roll and cut it, on the bias, into sections. Place these on a serving plate and garnish with a little wasabi and a few lemon slices.