Stir-fried Potato Shreds, or 炒土豆絲, are quite popular in China and can come in many variations. This one adds a sparkle of Green Chili heat.
This dish is a good example of a native Chinese potato preparation and, while it appears to have originated in Sichuan, is becoming widely popular elsewhere as well.
The basic form of the dish is simply potato shreds stir-fried to a tender, yet still slightly crunchy, state. Some preparations add little else other than a bit of salt or soy for seasoning while others are more complex. Sichuan variations often include dried chili and Sichuan Peppercorns, while others are less spicy and may include green onion, red or green bell peppers, or shredded carrot. Here, I am just using some Green Chili for a little heat, along with a little Vinegar.
How to make Stir-fried Potato Shreds
Slice the potato lengthwise into slices about 1/8th of an inch thick, then cut the slices into 1/8th inch thick shreds. Put the shreds into a large bowl of water and squeeze them gently, making the water cloudy with starch and then drain. Repeat a couple of times until the water remains clear and then let the shreds sit in cold water with ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar until ready for use.
Toss the chili shreds another half teaspoon of salt and let sit until they are softened.
Heat a tablespoon or two of oil in your wok over high heat and drain the potato shreds, blotting dry with a bit of paper towel. Add them to the wok and toss and stir for about two minutes or so until they are softened somewhat and a few light brown spots appear here and there.
Finally, stir in the garlic, chili shreds, vinegar, and remaining salt, and let cook for another minute or so until all is heated through and then plate for service.
NOTES: When serving, you may wish to provide a little soy sauce on the side. This could actually be added while cooking but I don’t usually do as I don’t like to darken the potato too much. If you choose to do so, make sure you compensate by omitting the final addition of salt.
Your Recipe Card for 炒土豆絲:
Stir-fried Potato Shreds – 炒土豆絲
- 1 large Potato;
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Green Chili;
- 2 tbsp. Vinegar;
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt;
- 1 tsp. minced Garlic.
- Slice the Potato into thin shreds and immerse them in a bowl of cold water. Squeeze to expel the starch then change the water and repeat until the water runs clear.
- Cover the Potato shreds with cold water, stir in ½ teaspoon of Salt and 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar, and let sit for the time being.
- Put the Chili slivers in a separate bowl, toss with another half teaspoon of salt and let sit until the soften.
- Drain the Potato, squeeze dry, and stir-fry over high heat until they are soft and some brown spots begin to appear.
- Stir in the Chili slivers along with the garlic, vinegar, and remaining salt, stir-fry until all is heated through and plate for service.
Great with braised beef in fermented bean sauce 🙂
Life is Good !
Yes… that *would* be good!