Zucchini with Mushrooms and Tomatoes is a lightly seasoned side dish. It is easy to make, and is a great accompaniment to steaks and roasts.
I often make variations of this dish to go with grilled steaks. It used canned mushrooms for convenience, is extremely simple to prepare, and provides a lot of scope for improvisation. In this recipe, I have limited the herbal addition to fresh Thyme, but Parsley and Sage together are also very nice.
The Basic Method
For the best appearance, I like to cut the Zucchini into chunks roughly the same size as the canned Button Mushrooms. The pieces can then be tossed with a little Lemon Juice to add a little flavor fillip, and also keep the color nice and fresh.
When using canned mushrooms, it is always a good idea to begin by frying them at high heat in a little oil. If you sear the surfaces until nice patches of golden brown appear, the flavor is improved immeasurably.
When the Mushrooms are nicely browned, the Zucchini pieces are added, followed by Chicken Stock. This is all braised just until the Zucchini is tender, but still nicely firm.
Finally, the tomatoes are added, along with a little Garlic Salt and fresh Thyme. When the tomatoes begin to collapse, the liquid that is thrown off will reduce slightly and a little butter stirred in just before plating for service will turn this into a nice smooth sauce. Serve while still piping hot.
Your Recipe Card:
Zucchini with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 2 small Zucchini
- 2 medium Tomatoes chopped in large dice;
- 1 can whole Button Mushrooms;
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice;
- ¼ cup Chicken Stock;
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme;
- 1 pinch Garlic Salt;
- 1 Tbsp. Butter.
- Cut the zucchini into chunks about the size of the mushrooms and toss the pieces with a little lemon juice.
- Quickly pan-fry the mushrooms in a little oil over moderately high heat until they form golden brown patches here and there.
- Add the Zucchini, and, when the pieces just begin to brown slightly, add the Chicken stock.
- Once the Zucchini has softened to a firm-tender, add the tomatoes, Garlic Salt and Thyme.
- Cook until the tomatoes have collapsed, then finish the sauce by stirring in the butter.
- Serve hot.